ROBIN -  Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network
users community forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control Bandwidth and number of connections

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index -> Running the mesh
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
uncleshred
User
User


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Control Bandwidth and number of connections Reply with quote

I guess everybody kind of develops their own way of handling bandwidth and network abuse. I am wondering if/how to do the following with Robin?

-Limit per client simultaneous connections to say 20. This protects against most file sharing as well as DoS attacks.

-Use centralized bandwidth control devices that need to be able to associate packets with the end user. I have a NetEqualizer that I love. It does great instantaneous bandwidth priority control, but it cannot "see" individual clients on the other side of a NAT gateway, which is what a Robin Gateway would be.

- Do Calea. Same problem as my previous point. How are you identifying and isolating individual clients?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ispyisail
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 4604
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try CoovaOM?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RR
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 49
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you use some iptables rate limiting rule? (logged in via ssh?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ispyisail
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 4604
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't you use some iptables rate limiting rule? (logged in via ssh?)


In theory yes, but you would have to log into each node to change settings. You would also have to know what your doing, The dashboard might over write your settings as well (not sure about this)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uncleshred
User
User


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't you use some iptables rate limiting rule? (logged in via ssh?)


That could be, but I would need to learn how. I try to stay away from such thinky stuff if I can. Smile

If it is that simple to do, it would be a very good feature to add to the control panel. Since I started to limit IP connections, my network problems have diminished greatly.

Still wondering, and perhaps this should have been a separate post, but - What is the plan to deal with CALEA???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Antonio (isleman)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 2323
Location: Toscana, Italy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r2135 implements a robinized wondershaper version that can be enabled at dashboard. I think that Mike is just testing&adding this feature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
uncleshred
User
User


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
r2135 implements a robinized wondershaper version that can be enabled at dashboard.

That is wonderful!!!
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalenorman
Ultimate User
Ultimate User


Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Posts: 379
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew, great feature, and not a moment too soon!


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



My hopes for bandwidth shaping in ROBIN:

-p2p and download managers/accelerators both do the same trick that leaves a very specific signature - they open multiple simultaneous network connections. This overwhelms some routers causing them to crash (old linksys especially!) or, like in the case of ROBIN, just causes real grief for most other users of the mesh. There has to be a way to limit the max number of simultaneous connections as a means of limiting p2p. Just limiting % of available bandwidth based on port# is not enough, because p2p is cleaver, and hard to identify just by port#. i think some p2p clients with use port 80 to work around simple bandwidth shaping.

-bandwidth shaping relies on accurate estimation up available internet bandwidth, both up and down. Set it too low and you waste valuable available bandwidth. too high and you don't accomplish anything. Usually, the admin either enters the amount of bandwidth they pay their ISP for, or they use a speedtest site and enter the results. But with ROBIN, this is more of a problem. First, internet bandwidth for ROBIN networks is often delivered over residential-style lines, which have shared bandwidth. the performance of the line today may not be the same as the performance of the line in 3 months. Also, in large ROBIN networks, it not uncommon to have a switch with more than one gateway connected to the same DSL line. In this case, each gateway does not really have 100% of the bandwidth of the DSL line, nor should they be forced to split the bandwidth 50/50.

I think there is the opportunity have a lot of this automated, where Gateways track of their maximum throughput to/from their upstream ISP, and upload the results to Dashboard. Instead of Gateways doing formal speedtests, they could just observe how much throughput they are delivering under real-world usage. Whatever they observe as their maximum throughput, they report to Dashboard where the results are tracked and available for review. The ADMIN could then assign max upload and download throttles on Dashboard for each gateway (one gateway per DSL line should be set to about 90% of max bandwidth i think. more than one gateway per DSL line = whatever the ADMIN sees most appropriate).

This would provide a valuable tool to the Admin - be able to track real internet bandwidth, and intelligently divide it among gateways.

If these max upload/download throttles could then be combined with current mesh utilization, and used by OLSR in building and maintaining routes - wow, that'd be awesome! Realtime, intelligent load-balancing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kage_
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 592
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should randomly block the user. Smile

dalenorman wrote:
whew, great feature, and not a moment too soon!


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



My hopes for bandwidth shaping in ROBIN:

-p2p and download managers/accelerators both do the same trick that leaves a very specific signature - they open multiple simultaneous network connections. This overwhelms some routers causing them to crash (old linksys especially!) or, like in the case of ROBIN, just causes real grief for most other users of the mesh. There has to be a way to limit the max number of simultaneous connections as a means of limiting p2p. Just limiting % of available bandwidth based on port# is not enough, because p2p is cleaver, and hard to identify just by port#. i think some p2p clients with use port 80 to work around simple bandwidth shaping.

-bandwidth shaping relies on accurate estimation up available internet bandwidth, both up and down. Set it too low and you waste valuable available bandwidth. too high and you don't accomplish anything. Usually, the admin either enters the amount of bandwidth they pay their ISP for, or they use a speedtest site and enter the results. But with ROBIN, this is more of a problem. First, internet bandwidth for ROBIN networks is often delivered over residential-style lines, which have shared bandwidth. the performance of the line today may not be the same as the performance of the line in 3 months. Also, in large ROBIN networks, it not uncommon to have a switch with more than one gateway connected to the same DSL line. In this case, each gateway does not really have 100% of the bandwidth of the DSL line, nor should they be forced to split the bandwidth 50/50.

I think there is the opportunity have a lot of this automated, where Gateways track of their maximum throughput to/from their upstream ISP, and upload the results to Dashboard. Instead of Gateways doing formal speedtests, they could just observe how much throughput they are delivering under real-world usage. Whatever they observe as their maximum throughput, they report to Dashboard where the results are tracked and available for review. The ADMIN could then assign max upload and download throttles on Dashboard for each gateway (one gateway per DSL line should be set to about 90% of max bandwidth i think. more than one gateway per DSL line = whatever the ADMIN sees most appropriate).

This would provide a valuable tool to the Admin - be able to track real internet bandwidth, and intelligently divide it among gateways.

If these max upload/download throttles could then be combined with current mesh utilization, and used by OLSR in building and maintaining routes - wow, that'd be awesome! Realtime, intelligent load-balancing!

_________________
Production Network: r2693-26/nO 0.5.6-r8
Test Network: r2693-26/nO 0.5.6-r8
Open-Mesh Wiki:

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchuerta
User
User


Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Control Bandwidth and number of connections Reply with quote

uncleshred wrote:
I guess everybody kind of develops their own way of handling bandwidth and network abuse. I am wondering if/how to do the following with Robin?

-Limit per client simultaneous connections to say 20. This protects against most file sharing as well as DoS attacks.

-Use centralized bandwidth control devices that need to be able to associate packets with the end user. I have a NetEqualizer that I love. It does great instantaneous bandwidth priority control, but it cannot "see" individual clients on the other side of a NAT gateway, which is what a Robin Gateway would be.

- Do Calea. Same problem as my previous point. How are you identifying and isolating individual clients?


What about this function ??? still exists ?? i would like this i have some issues we are an wisp thanks !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index -> Running the mesh All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 0.317