ROBIN -  Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network
users community forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth checking into if your considering WiFiRush...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index -> WiFi-CPA / WiFiRUSH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Ads

mtlowes

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Worth checking into if your considering WiFiRush... Reply with quote

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Seems they're giving away for free their older version of their standalone sever... which was working ok and only recently upgraded in the past month.

Anyway.. just a quick note for those curious.
curtisj
User
User

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded the free version... What are the differences between the free version and the updated (pay) version?
robgmann
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this up and running on a spare server that's part of my (mesh) network. I'm hoping this will make the authentication process much faster (compared to the lag some users experience when the CP server is hosted elsewhere).

One question though: if my local virtual WiFiRush server is unavailable , then users won't be able to authenticate and will be kicked off the network?
Or, will they be able to continue to use it, just unmanaged (and no bandwidth control).

I guess I'm not sure how much each ROBIN node knows about the wifirush CPA. If the CPA is unavailble,

I have some concern about keeping this server running in VMWare on my basic Linux server.
Y-FI
Skilled User
Skilled User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about those questions as well. I downloaded that when it was free and was considering setting it up for our smallish network. Wasn't sure what would happen during downtime.

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

robgmann
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the wifirush server down:
I connect on that node's wireless and get as far as the wireless hotspot page but never get to the login screen. That's about what I would expect to happen with the server down.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I may not want to host it on a VM inside my "spare" server at home. (Good move, WiFiRush people - let us demo the product in a vm!)

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on how running my own hotspot server compares to running my own DHCP and routing through standard SOHO (linksys) hardware. At least those are dedicated devices that only serve this 1 function (and a pretty basic one at that).

I'm tempted to look again at the WiFiRush appliance, or even just purchasing the CD-install and running my own dedicated machine.

VmWare is nice for testing, but obviously running a production box through the VMPlayer is not solid. VMWare server 2.0 is not showing me any love these days. What a pain...
mtlowes

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the proxmox and vmware versions running, although I'm not using vmplayer, but server under win server 2008 on a dedicated server... Gateway 975 (Xeon x 2, 6gb ram ram etc) and it works great.. even managed to create a failover server onto another gateway975 I have running on the same rack..

I am testing this in my office and with my primary development network (60 nodes/repeaters live) with the intent to progress to a full implementation on the next release, likely the vmware version as well as deployment of a minimum of 5 appliance servers for various hotspot locations...

I am looking forward to bringing it all inhouse... and am optimisitc that the next update (4.Cool will resolve some outstanding concerns I have that are a barrier to my weening off their servers.
augustynr
User
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the promo code has expired any idea where I can get a copy of the free version to test?
beone
Skilled User
Skilled User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustynr wrote:
It looks like the promo code has expired any idea where I can get a copy of the free version to test?

yeps, same question, here!
Damn, I can't even go on holidays without missing something Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network Forum Index -> WiFi-CPA / WiFiRUSH All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: